SELO is creating the post of Assistant Conductor, to commence in 2019.
This initial appointment will last for one and a half seasons, with the intention of then moving to a one-year term thereafter. The position offers an exciting opportunity to gain conducting and leadership experience with a high-quality community orchestra.
You will probably already have some conducting experience and/or training, along with performance experience with amateur musicians. That said, we don’t have a fixed idea of who you will be and welcome applications from anyone who thinks they are a good match for the responsibilities below.
1. Conducting SELO in concert, normally two pieces per season, as requested by the Music Director
2. Conducting any offstage parts in concert if required
3. Taking rehearsals in the absence of the Music Director
4. Conducting sectional rehearsals as requested
5. Participating in community development programmes, as requested by the Music Director and Community Development Manager
1. Ensuring personal familiarity with all repertoire for the season
2. Providing feedback to the Music Director on balances and other musical matters
3. Assisting the Music Director and committee as requested on musical matters
4. Other duties as requested
1. SELO’s regular rehearsals are Thursday evenings (c.25/year) and Sunday afternoons (c.5/year). SELO’s concerts are usually on Sunday afternoons. See website for future dates.
2. The Assistant Conductor is expected to be available for a selection of these dates, as arranged with the Music Director
The length of appointment is from January 2019 to the end of July 2020. The post is not linked with a fixed remuneration or fee, but there will be occasions when the Assistant would be asked to conduct a whole rehearsal for an agreed fee. Our policies, including on Equal Opportunities, can be viewed online at https://southeastlondonorchestra.com/policies/
The application process
Please submit your CV with covering letter (maximum one side of A4), outlining your interest and how you match the skills required for the role. Submissions should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Friday 14 December
Up to four applicants will be shortlisted for a 45-minute audition with the orchestra on either 17 or 24 January 2019 in Beckenham.